Mt Palmer Project
Mt Palmer is a high-grade historical mining complex that produced over 158koz of gold at 15.9g/t. Mt Palmer was last commercially mined in 1944.
History and Historical Production
The major historical workings at Mount Palmer were mined from 1934 to 1944 and in that time over 310,000t at an average gold grade of 15.9g/t produced of over 158,000oz.
The deposit was mined over a strike of 360m, with individual lodes mined over a strike length of 200m and to depths of 155m from the surface. Most of the production came from the Main Lode and East Lode. The Main, East, West, and New Lodes were accessed from the main shaft while the Egan Lode was mined from a separate shaft to the north of the main shaft. There are multiple other historical workings over the tenement package.
Location and Access
Mount Palmer is located around 15km east of the Marvel Loch townsite in the Shire of Yilgarn, Western Australia.
The project can be accessed from Perth by the Great Eastern Highway to Southern Cross and then by local roads via either Marvel Loch or directly from the Great Eastern Highway at Yellowdine. Within the project, access is via an all-weather gravel road and secondary tracks.
Mount Palmer is located in the central area of the Southern Cross Greenstone Belt. The Southern Cross Greenstone Belt is a strongly deformed, metamorphosed synformal remnant of a once larger greenstone assemblage. It has been shaped and attenuated by the emplacement of syn-tectonic granitoids include the Ghooli, Parker, and Rankin domes.
The historical workings at Mount Palmer are hosted within an amphibolite sequence which extends from the greenstone-granite contact located approximately 400m to the west of the mine. An approximately 5m wide BIF unit forms a prominent north-northeast trending ridge located 200m east of the mine.
The central project area collectively covers >10km of the granite-greenstone contact. Cenozoic deposits cover most of the project area away from this contact in both directions.